Tuesday 3 April 2012

Dine Fine - [CLOSED] HAPA UMI - DOWNTOWN VANCOUVER

Hapa Izakaya has a popular ring to Vancouverites all over town. Hapa Umi to my surprise, isn't as popular. Hapa Umi is the more upscale version of Izakaya with a twist of class and elegance. I seriously caught the late train. I didn't realize Hapa Umi closed down last month until I went to back for another plate of beef tataki. Nonetheless, I had pictures saved on my laptop, I felt a need to honour this loss love of mine. 



Hapa Umi is now replaced with Hapa Izakaya Coal Harbour. Unfortunately I didn't go in because I didnt have a reservation and I decided to choose another restaurant. It was said in their news release that customers "felt there was a greater, unmet demand for an izakaya style restaurant in the Coal Harbour area". In essence, the spirit of the Hapa chain is still there, but I think the higher class of Hapa Umi's spirit has transformed into a more approachable environment, striving for an authenticity vibe straight off the streets of Tokyo.

I have been here many times, each time without reservation, as Hapa Umi is consistently my "heat of the moment I am craving Japanese food" restaurant. Hapa Umi seems to be a sold out show all the time, believe it or not, I have never sat at the dining room. Each time I come last minute, I have been seated at the lounge. Which is not a big deal to me, there are higher couches and stools in a slightly darker section of the diner, serving the same menu. I need only to be happy to have a seat to enjoy the food. I much enjoyed Umi to Izakaya because I preferred a professional ambiance than a party mood. But now that Umi has shifted to an Izakaya, the food is cheaper and more diverse... I can't complain!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...