Thursday 18 August 2011

Snack Quack - JULES - GASTOWN VANCOUVER


I love French Onion Soup.
Mr. F loves French Onion Soup. It was 3 in the afternoon and we both craved the intricate bowl of soft onions and croutons soaked in beef broth, topped off with steamy creamy oozy cheese.
That's when I was determined to find THE BEST Soupe a l’Oignon in the entire Vancouver. I told Mr. F we weren't going to settle for some cup-a-soup-a-soupy.
After some net surfing, I stumbled upon Jules Casual French Bistro in Gastown Vancouver.

We ordered: 2 of the Soupe a l’Oignon Gratinee (French Onion Soup)
Moules Frites (Steamed Mussels in White Wine with Garlic and Parsley Served with Fries)

AMBIENCE | It was a clear and gleaming day, so we chose to sit outside in a nice fenced off section in front of the restaurant. I peeped inside the restaurant and its very comfy roomy homey feel. Will definitely come back to try dinner.

DISHES | I'm only going to rave about how awesome the French Onion Soup is, the mussels were great, but merely a side dish to the day. Sorry shelleys, soupy stole your limelight! The soup from taste to presentation was amazing. The soup temperature is usually one of my biggest concerns. I cannot stand mediocre warm soup, my soup always has to be hot. Extra hot. Jules did a wonderful job of burning my finger when I touched the bowl (even after the waitress warned me) - I knew it was going to be fresh and delicious before I tried it. I also loved how the chef placed the slices of bread to creep between the cheese. The cheese was baked to a soft, stretchy golden texture with slightly burnt crisps on the side. Together, the broth and onions were perfect. I do critique it to be a tad salty, but I'm just being unnecessarily picky.

That said, I will still be scoping around town for THE BEST French Onion soup and will keep you all posted. If you are a die hard fan of the ultimate Soupe a l’Oignon, please, try Jules in Gastown. You will not be disappointed.
I'll see you there!

216 Abbott St
Vancouver, BC

(604) 669-0033
Jules Casual French Bistro on Urbanspoon
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...